Wednesday, December 3, 2008

In need of some Light-Heartedness...

Last weekend I had some of my friends over at our place for wedding gifts. I told them rather than having to cart pressies up the mountain only to have to cart them back down again, I would organised a gift weekend after the wedding. Unfortunately Rod was still enroute to Ho Chi Min City from Phnom Penh a the time so he wasn't there but he kept texting me his progress for the day which was comforting.

Rod sms - "boarded bus to hcmc. latest movies on bus, Charlie Chaplin" ( I wanted to text back: - original or the one with Robert Downey Jr.?)

We got 2 wild native orchids, a funny designer pasta scooper and pizza cutter and a wall clock but the gift I was most looking forward too was an electric kettle. A dear friend who always pops over for tea couldn't put up with my old broken electric kettle anymore. Even brand new out of the box, the hold down button on the kettle just wouldn't stay on boil so for two years I had the ingenius method of using a really tight elastic band to hold down the switch which worked a treat but of course you had to manually release it when the kettle was boiling. It was quite inconvenient but the kettle was always a conversation peice at parties. So when she told me she wanted to get me a new working kettle, there was no persuading her otherwise even though I had grown attached to my broken one. I told her I liked the look of the new Sunbeam ceramic kettle. She promptly went and bought me one and even called me from the store while she was paying for it. So you can imagine my surprise while I'm unwrapping her present. Surprise!!!...no surprises. She even bought the right colour.

But the true test is wheter it works? We set off boiling water immediately. The button holds downs (phew!) and then what seemed like an eternity watching water boil, the switch finally switches off automatically and you should have heard the cheers and Hurrahs!! going off in the house..all because an electric kettle worked. What a triumph! What joy!!! and as for the old kettle? I thought it would be symbolic if all my friends formed a guard of honour from the kitchen down the hallway with the last one holding the door open while I ran with my old broken kettle, arms rotating like a discus thrower (the theme from 'Chariots of Fire' playing ) and hurled that old broken peice of crap out the door, accoss the road and probably straight into the window of my neighbours. Like the saying goes ' People in houses shouldn't throw broken kettles....hmmmm, okay, I made that one up but its got a nice ring to it. At the very least I thought, we should have a ceremonial burning of the elastic band.

Rod sms - reached hcmc
Ivy sms - everybody says "Yay!"

No comments: