Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Changing of the old Guard

Love it or hate it, one can't deny that the US elections have been riveting entertainment to all us non voters. Its not just the candidates that are interesting, the whole election system is fascinating and so complexed starting from the primary elections leading up to today. As like with everything American its almost like one big game show.

I haven't said anything before and I prefer to keep my opinions about the matter to myself or risk coming across like some uneducated nut because frankly I don't know a thing about politics. For months I have been bemused by the heated opinions of Sydneysiders, most very pro Obama in an election that doesn't directly concern them at all. As some Americans have said:- they don't care what Australia is thinking because the Australians aren't voting. So when I see someone on the train getting all excited and rallying behind Obama and vilifying McCain/Palin. I want to ask them if they really understand the exact differing policies of the candidates? Are they making an educated choice or are they gunning for Obama because he's way cooler than an old fart like McCain? Are they being swayed by the media propaganda that seems overwhelmingly in Obama's favour or do they just want to see the changing of the old guard for the sake of having something different. As a white American comedian said, he's voting Obama because he wants a black president to misrepresent black men as white presidents have been doing for white men throughout history. And don't get me started on the Palin haters either. How can I take them seriously when all thier negativity is shaped by a spoof they watched on YouTube.

I readily admit that I prefered Obama to win, this I say in the same vein that I would like a particular football team to win because I prefer the colour of thier uniforms. Nothing more. Beyond that, I am highly skeptical that one man be he black or white could change the course of America and indirectly the world in 4 years. The win is symbolic more than anything else.

But at anyrate, Obama had won by a landslide. Good on him I say. Lets hope Obama 08 delivers more than Kevin 07.
nuff said

No comments: