Thursday, November 27, 2008

Wedded Bliss?


We've started married life with a really bad week. First we had really freak weather at the wedding, snow, hail, rain, gale force winds and some sunshine which really put a damper on our plans. We couldn't get married outside and we moved indoors into a room to do the ceremony which was set up quite nicely as a wet weather alternative but it was nowhere near as lovely as our orginal venue. I'm glad I didn't allow my dissapointment to show on the day and I'm surprised how blase' I was at all the disruptions and despite everything that went wrong I quite enjoyed myself.

The next day though, I felt it. Irony, dissapointment, resentment, regret and relief. I thought about how I didn't have time to stop and take in the day. To cherish those little moments. From the moment I woke up it was GO! Go! Go! right till the end. In hindsight I wished I had gotten my priorities right. I had put alot of emphasis on minor trivial things like the flowers and had not found the time for more important things like taking up my dress properly. I kept pulling the bodice of my dress up the whole night and was uncomfortable and afraid one of my boobs would pop out. I wish I had time to relax and breath. I was still wiring buttonholes and hadn't taken a bath yet when my make-up artist turned up early and I hurriedly took a 5 minute shower and didn't even mouisturise my face. When my make-up was gettig done instead of kicking back and enjoying being pampered, I fretted about the things that still needed to be done and then it started hailing. It was probebly at that point that something in me gave up and I knew that nothing was going to be perfect like the way I imagined it. After that nothing fazed me, I was as composed as the Buddha.

What would have made the day easier would have been the help of family. I got no help from my sisters. Both were too self absorbed on the day to see that I was crying out for help. My younger sister who is 24 but behaves like a 16 year old emo brat was still sulking over getting told off that she couldn't play her gameboy at the dinner table of a swanky restaurant we ate at the night before the wedding. My elder sister who had a baby 2 months ago was putting up all sort of excuses that she was busy tending the baby so she couldn't help me but last week she threw together a huge baby bash for 30 of her friends with no problems. My mom on the other hand was wonderful as she tirelessly dethorned all 100+ roses for me the night before (hence I am beating myself up about my priorities). My cousin who I initially didn't want to invite to the wedding was such a little helper and I don't think I could have finished everything without him. Everyone was still lounging around in thier pajamas watching TV and when the photographer arrived, everyone wasn't properly dressed except for me, despite none of them helping me to get ready, they couldn't even dress themselves on time . Only when Rod came and we got into our car, just the two of us that I felt at peace again.

I've tried not to think about the wedding so much and have concrentrated my thoughts on Rod and thigs that really matter to the both of us. We had a lovely morning just us two, taking our time driving back home. By Monday it felt like we didn't have a wedding at all. I can hardly remember the details now. Don't get me wrong, there were great parts about the wedding, and when I feel like talking about the good parts. perhaps when I see the pictures, I can write more favourably of the day. but it was not the best day of my life to be sure.

Then Rod had to fly off on Tuesday for a business trip which would take him away for the rest of the week till the weekend. I knew this was coming before the wedding and we made the best of the two days following the wedding to cherish that freshly married feeling and then he was off on a plane bound for Bangkok. The next morning I read the news that anti goverment protestors had taken control of the airport and that all in-coming and outgoing flights to the capital have been canceled. I'm frantic the whole morning and it isn't till midday I get a msg from Rod saying he landed safely at the Bangkok domestic terminal where they got diverted and had spent 6 hours sitting on the plane on the tarmac while waiting for immigration to sort them out. He was meant to catch another flight to Vietnam for more meetings but latest reports say the airpots have been closed indefinately till futher notice. It looks like he won't be back this weekend. I've been feeling a bit fearful, and a little bit angry as well (at his company, don't know why because they wouldn't have predicted this would happen) I thank god that he didn't go on a business trip to Mumbai and pray that the protest in Bangkok is a peaceful one and that it is just an annoying inconvinience and that he will return safe and sound to me soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a lot of pressure even in making the wedding day a great day. You're a real trooper dealing with things as they came, calmly and unfazed. It looks like you derived a lot of joy from the flowers (I'd be happy to have a DIY wedding bouquet like that except I'm super un-talented at making anything with my hands) so they may be trivial in the scheme of things, but important enough to have given you such pleasure.

oddey said...

I am starting to think of the day fondly and I will alway remember I suppose that late night with my Mom hand-tying all the reception posies (much more personal and satisfying) however may not reccommend it for people who are bad at time management like me.

You would be surprised how easy a simple posy is to tie up. My first mistake was to use cottage roses. literally covered with thorns. hot house roses are virtually thornless and will be easier to posy up. I borrowed a book from the library and practiced a few times. its quite nice to have a posy in the house or to give to friends.

thanks for commenting