Thursday, October 9, 2008

Aren't we all overreacting just a little?

I'm reading my friend's travel blog, feeling slightly jealous. 9 months ago, her life was not unlike mine, she was getting married, had bought her own house with her partner, was working as an architect when she decided to chuck it all ( 3 months before the wedding after I had bought my non refundable ticket to fly to her wedding) and have a mini quarter life crisis. She bought an open year ticket to europe and couldn't even hang around for my wedding. Now she's doing the most bizzare things, hitchiking and couchsurfing with virtual strangers basically being being a bum and moocher ( I mean that in the nicest way but I call a pipe a pipe when I see one). Its baffles me.

As I mope about at dinner time, I'm asking Rod all these rhetorical questions to gauge his reaction if I decided to go away for a while (only temporarily while he pays the mortgage) and couchsurf myself. In truth I would be miserable without him. What I'd love would be for the both of us to pack up and jet off together. Of course this would never do for Rod, who is Mr Sensible, he's the last boy scout on earth. He lives by thier motto ' Be Prepared'

So after unsuccessfuly getting Rod to agree to wait for me in Sydney and pay all our bills while I holiday for 6 months or let alone come along with me while the bank reposesses our house, the talk turns to buying a new computer. One that does not lagg so badly that I can take a 15 min shower and still not find windows loaded up when I get out. I want an Imac but for all the wrong reasons. I want one because it looks cool. Rod's not aversed to the idea but he's being cautios as usual. He says:-

"The way things are at the moment, it just might be wise if we had some cash squirreled away, just in case."

.........You know what? Perhaps we've all had it so good for so long and none of us have ever been in a recession that we're sort of naive in thinking that its not so bad. It didn't occur to me that whats happening in Wall Street and around global financial markets would have any direct affect on us or our jobs. Interest rates coming down is a good thing when you have a mortgage and we bought our house for us, not as an investment property so falling house prices in the short term don't bother me. We've used our own money to invest so we don't have to make any margin calls (Everthing is getting slaugthered at the mo, have to hang on till everthing recovers in a few years). So really, what else are we worried about? Losing our jobs? There's the slightest of possibilities, but with an international shortage of engineers and firms desperate to find workers, they aren't going to be firing anyone at his work at the mo.I'm not too worried at my work place either. So do I think Rod is overreacting? We're not what the government would call 'working families' in fact we have it pretty good, I think. So why can't I buy my bloody Imac?????

"So what about S?" (i.e the globe trotting moocher) I ask, as if to say, "Well if you think I'm bad? look at HER!!!" Blowing her life savings to go travelling and then returning to an Aussie job market thats isn't quite as crash hot as when she left it. In fact I know things are slowing down already. Is she worried? ( I'll bet its the furthest thing from her mind as she's sipping a margarita in some mediteranian villa somewhere)

'All I'm saying is we should be prepared" Says Rod

Sometimes I hate that I'm marrying a boy scout.

No comments: