Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Berrytime

There is this huge mulberry tree is someones front garden that has grown so large and its lower branches are weeping over the foot path on the way to the train station. Every spring it bears heaps of mulberries. I have been having a gorgefest on my way back from work. First time I had mulberries they were from a tree growing on the council median strip infront of my apartment and I found out then that only fully black mulberries are sweet, if even the tinest hint of red is on them they will be tart and sour. You have to have a light hand when you pick mulberries, The ripe ones are so full and juicy that by the end of picking just a handfull, your fingers are all stained purple and if you're not carefull so will all your best work clothes.
I so want a mulberry tree in the garden, but we haven't the space. We have planted strawberries, raspberries and blueberries this spring. I'm told that raspberries really should be eaten off the vine to taste its full flavor. I wouldn't know really because I never can afford the store bought ones either..up to $8 bucks a punnet. Here's hoping for homegrown berries next season

No comments: