Sunday, October 12, 2008

With this ring.....


We went to see the jeweller to get our wedding bands made. We used the same guy who made my engagement ring because he's a craftsman who works in this tiny unassuming shop rather than a salesman in a suit you find in a shop full of gliterring bling. I took to him pictures of a ring I had seen on Etsy. It was a simple gold band with a hand hammered look. Rod had convinced me that our wedding bands should be an unbroken ring of gold as is traditional. As my engagement ring already had diamonds in it, I didn't mind but I got him to go with me on the hand hammered effect because we both love things with a handmade feel about them. His first reaction to the pictures I brought home was that it looked like a bit of gold foil candy wrapper scrunched and twisted around someones finger. (It does actually) but I think its represents us better as we're not shiny, polished pple, we're a bit rough around the edges, a bit worn, not perfect but special nevertheless.

I didn't know if the jeweller could replicate that random beaten pattern at the right scale as well because if I were to describe it, its sometimes doesn't look hammered but as if someone used a very sharp knife and sliced away slivers of gold and all the slivers are randomly sized and shaped then lastly ran a very light polish over the ring to soften the peaks giving it a lovely subtle facetted appearence. I've seen some hammered rings in stores and the hammering looks too heavy and you get very deep dents nothing subtle at all. but he put me at ease quickly when he went back to his workroom and quickly beat up a few sample pieces to show us. He did it exactly the way we wanted it and so quickly that I thought we could just sit and wait while he made it there and then (like getting our shoes mended) but I have to wait a week.

No comments: