Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What colours?

I've never written about the wedding. Infact when peaple ask me about it I really have nothing much to say. It is just about 6 weeks away and I'm getting more excited because I can finally pin down some of the details


A few years ago, Rod and I were fossiking at the Reverse Garbage in Marrickville. You never know what you will find at the RG, mostly junk but sometimes you find a real gem if you're willing to go rummage through all the crap. I found a huge reel of ribbon for 5 dollars. Now when ur at the shops and you want just a metre of ribbon you get charged about 3 dollars anyway. Sometimes a bargain is so good it doesn't matter what you are buying, you do it for the sake of bragging that you saved so much money buying something you absolutely do not need. Of course Rod is the sensible one and ask me what I was going to do with 100 mtrs of ribbon. I stood there like a 5 year old clutching a toy she really wanted her parents to buy her and dug my heels in, refusing to put it back...."I don't know? Use it at my wedding?" I cheekily replied. Now I don't always follow through with all my cockamanie ideas but I was determined that the ribbon would feature in the wedding because if it doesn't, I can't find any other use for 100mtrs of ribbon. (build a maypole?) I've already used some during Christmas and the odd birthday but its hardly dented the supply. The problem now is that its quite a bold red and white candy stripe pattern (grosgrain) completely at odds with my idea of a soft muted romantic colour sheme.

Rod loves colour, whereas I'm a beige on beige girl. I want the colours to be classic but I would agree with Rod that in the pictures it will look a bit dull and not really us at all (besides he hates white flowers and even though he couldn't be arsed about the minute details, I want the reception to be a reflection of the both of us). So last nite I brought the ribbon out and trialed it with some flowers out of our garden. I am quite happy with the result, its very kitsch.


Except my gown is not kitsch at all. Its a simple elegant roman inspired a-line dress. I was envisioning a cream bouquet all along but I took some pictures with the multicoloured bouquet to see if I would change my mind later. Anyway don't want to stress too much. Its a fairly minor detail.


No comments: