Thursday, October 9, 2008

Behaving like a Crazy Person

My sister/brother inlaw and I had some heated debate on what cocktail dress means. The outcome of the debate is usually them pounding me into submission where I begrudgingly have thier opinions stuffed down my throat.

To summarise, my wedding invites said 'garden cocktail dress' in which I took to meaning, men wore a jacket and tie and women wore short cocktail dresses (ala spring racewear). My sister (in her know it all voice) was adamant that I should have said semi formal and that cocktail dress meant a night out at the pub and the guys could turn up in jeans and the women would wear club clothes. She kept insisting I got it wrong even after I told her I googled it a thousand times.

So I go back and furiously google 'cocktail dress' again and thank you! Internet, for proving to me that I'm not an idoit after all!!!' As much as I would love to rub thier noses in it, It would be utterlly childish to send them a link and say...I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

I can't win debates with my sister and brother in law because they always gang up on me and also because I'm naturally non-combative. I have the worst come backs and sometimes my mind just goes blank when I'm confronted agressively. On my own and with the benefit of hindsight, I dream up all these witty and apt things I should have said and my revenge fantasies get crazier and weirder. Like having the fashion editor of Vouge on my side chastising the two of them on thier appalling knowlege of dress code, or the two of them turning up at my wedding in jeans while everyone else is dressed to the ninths.

Sometimes you want to rant and explode on your relos or just want to sit on thier heads and yell NANANANANANANAH!! and generally behave like a crazy person. but you can't. So I dumped it on my friends on facebook, because the glee in being proven right is only half the joy if you can't gloat about it !!!


No comments: